February is upon us, and this year has been great for getting out and walking. We are trying to work on a partnership between our clinic and the Magna Health Fair to sponsor a walk in May. So this particular healthy tip is slightly early but helpful in reminding us all to get healthy.
The Benefits of 30 Minutes or More of Daily Brisk Walking
How Long 30 minutes daily or 15 minutes 2x/day or 10 minutes 3x/day
Intensity 3-6 METs or 150 Kcal/day energy expendituresExamples: walking 2.5 mph is 3 METS walking 3.5 mph is 4 METS walking 4.0 mph is 5 METS walking 4.5 mph is 6 METS
- Reduce the risk of Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) and atherosclerosis. If everyone walked 30 min daily at 3-4 mph’s it would decrease the number of CVD deaths per year by 30% (284,886).
- Reduce the risk of Diabetes (Type 2) by 58% in persons with high risk.
- Reduce risk of Stroke by 24% walking 2.5 hours per week further reduces by 46% walking 5 hours per week.
- Reduce the risk of breast cancer by 20% in White and African-America women
- Reduce the risk of mortality of patients with breast cancer by 25%
- Reduce resting blood pressure
- Reduce risk of Osteoporosis
- Reduce the risk of Pancreatic Cancer among overweight individuals
- Reduce the risk of Cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal) in women by 31%
- Reduce the risk of depression among elderly adults by 50% after just 4 months
- Improved overall aerobic fitness and functional capacity
- Daily walking of 30 minutes for 12 weeks has been shown to lower body weight and decrease body fat percentage
- If we just walked briskly 30 minutes each day, health care as we know it would radically change.
Please join a monthly healthy tip on our website at www.advancedmotionpt.com and tell your friends to “like” us on Facebook to receive healthy tips through the year.
Lance Dougher DPT, MTC